Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Wampa Pen - Prices

Prices. Who doesn’t want to complain about them? Nobody. But, this week, I’m going to let the reality speak almost more than I do. (But we know that’s not true, I love to talk.) Read on!

The Vintage Collection - $9-10
The Clone Wars Collection - $8-9
The Deluxe Packs/Class I - $18-22
Vehicles/Class II - $25-32
Wal-Mart Battle Packs - $25
Discover the Force Vehicles - $30
Battle Packs - $22-26
Podracers TRU set - $27

The top line of the prices is obviously Toys ‘R’ Us. I mean, I get that they don’t sell the food or have nearly the volume of Target or Wal-Mart, but wow, some of those disparities are outrageous.

I mean, let’s just think about that for a moment.
Vintage Collection – that’s at least $9 a figure. And there will be, like, almost twenty Phantom Menace carded figures in the Vintage Collection at $9 a pop. Not to mention five Deleted Scenes figures and a whole mess of great things revealed at Toy Fair. Not only do those figures make us all giddy, but they’re going to cost you dearly.

Clone Wars Collection – But I guess this is where the better part of the year comes in, only nine new figures this year at $8! I guess that’s where I get to save money….

Class I packs – Remember when the STAP and the Darth Maul sets were about $10? I don’t necessarily remember that either, but dang, almost a 200% increase in their price. And they’re molds from the 90’s. And another BARC, another Obi-Wan…Man, aren’t you just salivating at the ability to spend all of this money on repacks? And pretty lame ones at that?

Class II – remember when these were new and cost less? Yeah, me too. What’s this recurring theme? Oh, yeah, repacks that cost more than they should. The Podracers used to come with pack-in figures, too.

Wal-Mart Battle Packs – did you notice that most of these figures are like, half-sized? Not to mention the late 90’s/early 2000’s molds in this set? Did you really want to pay about $8 for super old figures? No? Why should you. (Disclaimer: the astromech set is definitely worth the money, but I love Droids.)

Discover the Force vehicles – Remember when the Dewback was $30 but had a new Sandtrooper figure? But then the new release deleted the Sandtrooper and kept the price the same? Or the repainted Vulture Droid for ten dollars more than its last release?

Battle Packs – 3 figures for $22. Remember when they were five figures for $20? Sure, the sculpts are better…usually. Until the frickin’ Rebel Heroes and Geonosis Assault Battle Packs repacked figures that should never have seen the light of day again.

Podracers - more and more repacks! Gosh, these half figures cost more than any Battle Pack full of fullsized figures!!

I don’t want to talk. I want these prices to. And then I want you to reconsider your buying habits until these come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment