Friday, December 9, 2011

Echo Base News interviews Toby Longworth


With the 3D release of The Phantom Menace just around the corner, we've conducted a brief interview with actor Toby Longworth about his contributions to the film. Read on and check it out!


Echo Base News: How did your acting career begin?
Toby Longworth: I started off in comedy. I was in a double act called The Rubber Bishops with Bill Bailey yeeeears ago...we started at the Edinburgh Festival, which is where I've just been, twenty something years ago...

EBN: Did you have any exposure to Star Wars before The Phantom Menace? Do you consider yourself a fan?
TL: Certainly I was a fan; my parents even got me a super eight reel for Christmas before it was released over here. I was the only one among my friends to have seen it. Although none of the plot was clear and it was silent, I got see the effects and was blown away!!!

EBN: How did you get the roles of Lott Dod and Gragra in The Phantom Menace?
TL: It took a while. My friend Peter Serafinowicz was seen and got a role before I was even auditioned...but then, with only weeks to go I got the call. (Editor's Note: Peter Serafinowicz provided the voice of Darth Maul.)


EBN: What is your impression of Lott Dod's character?
TL: Not having seen him develop, I was given the brief of a quite boring official, who didn't realize the underhanded plots of his fellow Nemoidians...

EBN: Did you know that Lott Dod made a bigger appearance in a Season 2 episode of The Clone Wars? Is it cool to see the character's story continue?
TL: Well, as I say, I didn't see The Clone Wars version and I'm disappointed not to be playing him, but glad he survived The Phantom Menace!

EBN: Were you approached at all to return for The Clone Wars and voice Lott Dod again?
TL: They never got in contact. I suspect the actors are being recruited from a different place by different people.


EBN: Having voiced Star Wars characters in the past, would you like the opportunity to lend your voice to a character in The Clone Wars?
TL: Certainly!

EBN: Are you looking forward to The Phantom Menace's return to the big screen in 3D next year?
TL: Can't wait! I love a good 3D story.

EBN: Do you think The Phantom Menace deserves more appreciation from the fans than it generally receives? 
TL: I've always liked it and was disappointed people didn't like it...especially Simon Pegg!


EBN: What other films or television can fans look (or listen) for you in?
TL: Four Lions, Extras, Phone Shop, and many others...

EBN: Are you currently working on any exciting projects?
TL: Stella with Ruth Jones.

EBN: What do you think makes Star Wars so great?
TL: It is timeless!!!


Listen for Toby Longworth when Lott Dod and Gragra reappear on the big screen during the 3D release of The Phantom Menace starting February 10, 2012!


Interview by David Delgado.

No comments:

Post a Comment